Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Remember Me



Then at the proper time, Jesus and the twelve apostles sat down together at the table. Jesus said, “I have looked forward to this hour with deep longing, anxious to eat this Passover meal with you before my suffering begins. For I tell you now that I won’t eat it again until it comes to fulfillment in the Kingdom of God.” Then He took a cup of wine, and when he had given thanks for it, He said, “Take this and share it among yourselves. For I will not drink wine again until the Kingdom of God has come.” Then He took a loaf of bread; and when He had thanked God for it, He broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples saying, “This is my body, given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” After supper, He took another cup of wine and said, “This wine is the token of God’s new covenant to save you- an agreement sealed with the blood I will pour out for you.”

Now Jesus was in great anguish of spirit and He exclaimed, “The truth is, one of you will betray me!” The disciples looked at each other, wondering whom He could mean. One of Jesus’ disciples, the one Jesus loved, was sitting next to Jesus at the table. Simon Peter motioned to him to ask who would do this terrible thing. Leaning toward Jesus, he asked, “Lord, who is it?” Jesus said, “It is the one whom I give the bread dipped in the sauce.” And when He had dipped it, He gave it to Judas, son of Simon Iscariot. As soon as Judas had eaten the bread, Satan entered into him. Then Jesus told him, “Hurry, do it now.” None of the others at the table knew what Jesus meant. Since Judas was their treasurer, some thought Jesus was telling him to go and pay for the food or to give some money to the poor. So Judas left at once, going out into the night. 

As soon as Judas left the room, Jesus said, “The time has come for me, the Son of Man, to enter into my glory, and God will receive glory because of all that happens to me. And God will bring me into my glory very soon. Dear children, how brief are these moments before I must go away and leave you. Then though you search for me, you cannot come to me- just as I told the Jewish leaders. So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” 

Simon Peter said, “Lord, where are you going?” And Jesus replied, “You can’t go with me now, but you will follow me later.” But why can’t I come now, Lord? he asked.  I am ready to die for you.” Jesus answered, “Die for me? No, before the rooster crows tomorrow morning, you will deny three times that you even know me.” 

“Don’t be troubled. You trust God, now trust in me. There are many rooms in my Father’s home, and I am going to prepare a place for you. If this were not so, I would tell you plainly. When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. And you know where I am going and how to get there.” “No, we don’t know, Lord,” Thomas said. We haven’t any idea where you are going, so how can we know the way?” Jesus told him, “ I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.”

“If you love me, obey my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit who leads you into all truth. The world at large cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for Him and doesn’t recognize Him. But you do, because He lives with you now and later will be in you. No, I will not abandon you as orphans- I will come to you. In just a little while the world will not see me again, but you will. For I will live again, and you will, too. When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father and you are in me, and I am in you. Those who obey my commandments are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them and I will love them. And I will reveal myself to each one of them.” 

“I am leaving you with a gift- peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give isn’t like the peace the world gives. So don’t be troubled or afraid. Remember what I told you: I am going away, but will come back to you again. If you really love me, you will be very happy for me, because now I can go to the Father who is greater than I am. I have told you theses things before they happen so that you will believe when they do happen. I don’t have much more time to talk to you, because the prince of this world approaches. He has no power over me, but I will do what the Father requires of me, so that the world will know that I love the Father.”

“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. Anyone who parts from me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned.” 

“When the world hates you, remember it hated me before it hated you. The world would love you if you belonged to it, but you don’t. I chose you to come out of the world, and so it hates you. Do you remember what I told you? A servant is not greater than the master. Since they persecuted me, naturally they will persecute you. And if they had listened to me, they would listen to you. The people of the world will hate you because you belong to me, for they don’t know God who sent me.” 

Jesus asked, “Do you finally believe? But the time is coming- in fact, it is already here- when you will be scattered, each one going his own way, leaving me alone. Yet I am not alone because the Father is with me. I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth, you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” 

Luke 22:14-20, John 13:21-John 14:6, John 14:16-21, 27-31, John 15:5-6, John 15:18-21, John 16:31-33

There’s been a lot of talk about the Lord’s supper in the last few days. A lot of disgust, indignation, outrage at the recent irreverent portrayal. I don’t think I could express mine any differently than what has already saturated the internet. Instead, I thought we could all use a simple reminder of just some of the things Jesus thought to be important enough to discuss on that night in question during His final moments with His disciples. 

Remember Me. 

Love each other. 

I’m going to prepare a place for you. 

I will be back to get you. 

I am the way to that place where I’m going. The truth, the life. 

Obey my commands. 

I will send a Counselor to teach and remind you of everything I’ve taught. 

I leave you with peace of mind and heart. 

Don’t be afraid. 

Stay close to me and you will be fruitful. 

Apart from me, you can do nothing. 

The world hates me and it will hate you, too. 

You will have trouble and sorrow in this world. 

Take heart. I have overcome the world. 

The world seems too evil for words, sometimes, and, last week, it got right up in our faces. It mocked our Savior who gave His blood for us all. At the last meal- the very one that was portrayed at the Olympics, ironically, Jesus warned about the world’s hatred for Him and also for us. With the warnings, He also gave instructions and encouragement. Love. Obey. Don’t be afraid. Stay close. Be fruitful. Take heart. The world’s gonna to do what the world’s gonna to do. Let’s just make sure we’re doing what we’re supposed to do. God, helps us be bolder, more committed, and more unified in our faith as your people. 


JONI 





3 comments:


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels