Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Long in the Tooth

Well, this will be quick, but I just wanted to pop in and tell you some news. I regret to inform you that I'm posting, tonight, for the very last time as a woman in her 40's. In just a few minutes, at the stroke of midnight, I'll be a 50 year old. A friend of mine texted and asked what I was doing on my last day as a forty-something. I told her I was having my teeth cleaned. Yeah, I figured if I spent the last day of my "youth" having my teeth scraped with sharp, metal instruments by an overzealous dental hygienist, then, well, the first day of my 50's would, at least, be a step up from that.

The dental types always go on and on about the good condition of my teeth, but, today, they really laid it on thick. Apparently, I have the healthiest gums they'd seen in a long time and they even took it a step further to say that I fall in that 10% of the population, who have no gum disease or gum issues of any kind. So, as I head into my next decade, I can, at least, hold my head high knowing that I have the teeth and gums of a much younger woman......everything else is pretty much on a descending track but the teeth and gums, well, let's just say they'd serve me well if I was being shown at Westminster.

And the local endoscopy center decided to get cute and send a birthday card.
Nothing like just hitting you with that on day one. No adjustment period or ice breaker games or orientation classes for the 50's.....no, just get on down here and let us check your colon. That's just more great fun that I can't wait to have.

I've already had some birthday fun today and the next couple of days promise more. Last week, I had lunch with one of my birthday twins, Susan. She's a step ahead of me on the road of life and we went to celebrate ourselves, a little early. We've been friends for years and years and she's always had the gift of bringing out the snorting laughter that lies deep within me. And her giftedness in making the perfect tea cakes only bolsters the fondness I feel towards her. I'm so thankful for her and the other women God has given me as friends, who've already been where I am and offer me their experience on things......most recently, the emptying of the nest. So, Happy Birthday to my Susan. Don't know what I'd do without her.  

So much going on, but hoping I can stop back in before Mother's Day!

Y'all have a good one!


   

  
 

3 comments:

  1. Happy 50th Birthday Joni! I turned 60 in January. I'm envious of your gums and teeth, the opposite of mine. That is something and your colon check is important too:).
    Celebrating birthdays with a long time friend is the best!
    Happy Mother's Day Joni!
    Have a beautiful day,
    Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a big year for you, too, Kathleen. We're both very blessed! We should celebrate all year long. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much, Darcy! I did have a great birthday. And as you can tell, I'm so far behind on reading my comments! I really appreciate you reading. :)

    ReplyDelete


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels