Friday, July 25, 2014

My Favorite Five Friday

I've been so busy this week that I haven't really had a chance to sit down and write much, so I'm piecing together five of my favorite moments from this week.  I'm stopping at five strictly so that I can use an alliteration with "F"riday and if I don't hurry and post, I'll need to do six for "S"aturday, so here goes.  In no particular order, here are my favorite moments of the week......     

1)  Carson (bless his heart) has a lot of problems with allergies, eczema, and asthma and, a couple of days ago, he came home from basketball practice having some difficulties along those lines.  I told him to hop in the shower while I got his medicine and made his lunch and he looked up at me from where he was sitting and said with the most touching sincerity, "Mom, I'm lucky to have you, because you take such good care of me with all of my problems......I don't know what I'd do without you."  Coming from a 14 year old boy, I thought it was the sweetest thing ever uttered.  Mothering is not always a thankless job.  Be still, my heart. 
2)  We had my cousin Nancy's daughter, Jordan, come stay with us for a couple of days.  Jordan is close to Blair's age and they are really close.  A healthy amount of makeup and hair sessions, movies, time with all the cousins, eating, and shopping is always involved when she comes to visit.  Here they are striking a pose.....Blair in her new cat eye glasses and Jordan in the Betsy Johnsons that she found for herself.  Few of us will ever achieve this level of fashiondom.
Let me tell you about Jordan.  She was born with some physical limitations which require her to have some assistance with her daily tasks.  Jordan may not have all the independence that many girls her age have, but God never put a more joyful soul into anyone.  She is a bright spot wherever she goes!  It's impossible to be in her presence and not find yourself smiling and happy. 

Underneath the limits of her little body, she has done what many of us haven't......she has found her calling.....that big thing that God has gifted Jordan specifically to do for Him.  Jordan is an encourager......and she does it like nobody's business!  She tells us about kids at her school, who are lonely or have physical difficulties like her, and she tries to be an encouragement to them.  She always encourages Blair in whatever is going on her in life, too. 

Every time we're around her, I think about how God has a job for each and every one of us and He knows exactly who is best suited for each position.  There is no doubt that He allows people who need a lift to cross paths with Jordan, because He trusts that she will do something!  I want to be more like Jordan......to be aware of my calling and to be faithful to it.  No excuses. 
3)  Blair finished her online Chemistry II class this week and we were able to dispose of all of the remnants of our chemical stockpile, so never again will my dining table be used as the platform on which chemical experimentations are performed.  No more explanation is needed as to why this made my list. 

4)  Every evening, we go to the lake around the same time to do our walking.  We time it so that, by our last round, we are enjoying the sunset.  Every single night, God closes out the day with one last love note to us and He paints the sky with His fingers.   Some nights, He uses yellows, oranges, and blues and, sometimes, He paints with pinks and purples.  It's never the same....never......but always a gift.....and enough to make even me want to exercise.
5)  My mother took Carson and my nephew, Casey, to Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch one day this week.  It is a good grandmother, who voluntarily eats wings for lunch and has chicken meat between her teeth for the rest of the afternoon.  She has always taken her grandchildren out to do special things....either one on one or in pairs.  Concerts, pageants, lunch dates, movies......whatever she thinks they will enjoy.  It's just her way of making memories with them that they will have for the rest of their lives.  I'm so thankful for her.  She gives the gift of time more lavishly than anybody I know! 
Wow!  It's been a great week around here!  Hope yours was too! 

Let's get some rest this weekend, y'all! 

6 comments:

  1. Lots of fun things happening at your house! That's sweet of your mom to go to Buffalo Wild Wings. My boys love that place, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all males enjoy ripping meat from the bone with their teeth for some reason. :)

      Delete
  2. I loved all your five but especially the reminders for me to give the gifts of encouragement and time. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need the reminder myself, Becky! Hope you've had a good weekend.

      Delete
  3. We all should be so lucky to have a Jordan in our lives. : ) She sounds delightful.
    That sunset is awesome.
    I take my walk in the mornings and my thought about sunrises is that it's God's way of saying good morning to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happyone, I don't have one single picture of a sunrise......I don't see many of those, but I know they must be beautiful! :) I love the "good morning" thought. And yes, everyone needs a Jordan in their life.....she's a bit of sunshine herself.

      Delete


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels