Tuesday, January 9, 2018

A Time to Work and a Time....to Be Sorry?

I've always been one to love cloudy, cool weather. I could almost hear your jeers as I typed that. I can't help it, though. Even as a kid, my favorite kind of day was cloudy, cool, and windy. I guess it plays to the part of me that likes to hunker down and nestle in. Maybe it's because winter slows the pace and brings us inside and closer together with our tribe. I just love the coziness of this time of year. A little rest before the warmth of spring and summer has us running around like chickens with their heads cut off as we like to say here in the South.

We've got one more week of our after-Christmas clearance sales at the stores and then I'll have to get back to more routine working hours but, since Christmas, I've been just taking it easy. Just being plain sorry, really. After the craziness of holiday retail, the bustle of Christmas activities, losing my mother-in-law right before Christmas and a cousin unexpectedly on Christmas day, and then contracting the dreadful sinus crud, I was in desperate need of some quiet rest. Physical and mental and emotional rest.

As a matter of fact, on the fifth consecutive day of Christmas celebrations, when the final family gathering was over and the relatives all pulled out of town, I decided I needed a nap. "I'm going to lie down for a few minutes before supper," I announced to Davis. It was 4:00 in the afternoon and when I woke up at 6:40, I thought it was morning. I'd slept so hard that I had no idea what day it was or if it was time for breakfast or supper. It was one of those moments when you stand in a dark room, looking puzzled at the clock, trying to piece together what has happened. I cracked the bedroom door open to look for clues and saw Davis working in his office. He's usually gone by 6:40 in the morning, I thought. That, along with the fact that I had on regular clothes and not pajamas, made me finally decide it was nighttime and that it was time to get up and cook chicken, not eggs. I'd been out like a light. As dormant as the crepe myrtle in my front yard.  

Now, I'll have to say, even for me, the cloudiness and dreariness are beginning to get a little old. I'm not sure but I might have the beginnings of a bedsore on my backside from my favorite chair. But, with the Kleenex-raw nose finally healing, I may be ready for a little more activity. A little more sunshine. A little less hunkering.

I'm certainly not complaining but it's just been uncharacteristically cold and wet around here. For the last two years, I'd bought cute scarves and hats and gloves to sell in the stores around Christmas time and it was like trying to peddle hot chocolate on the fourth of July. It just never got cold and even the sight of their wooliness made everyone break out in a sweat. So, this year, I'd vowed not to buy many cold weather accessories and so, naturally, we've broken all kinds of cold records.

Like all seasons, my friend, winter, has its purpose. If we spent everyday flourishing and growing and producing, we'd wear ourselves completely out. If we spent everyday resting and lying dormant and inactive, we'd never accomplish a single thing that's worthwhile. I love how God mixes rest with labor on the clock and on the calendar. We can't go too long without doing one and then the other.   

Maybe your work has seasonal peaks like mine or maybe you're uncharacteristically still because of sickness or caregiving or retirement or job loss. Never underestimate the power of rejuvenating rest and just sitting still. But, as soon as it's possible, we have to get back at it. Whatever "it" is for you, after you rest, get up and "work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord."

That first day back at "it" is always a doozy, though.

Before I go, I'd like to ask you to pray for my friend, Ellen. She received a serious cancer diagnosis over the holidays and is actively recruiting as many praying people as she can to pray with her. She's a beautiful and precious lady who's on staff at our church as a counselor and so many people are praying for her healing and peace. She's full of unbelievable faith and is an example of God giving incomprehensible strength and calm to those who will trust Him even on the most daunting paths. If you will, just pray for Ellen. God will know exactly who you're talking about.

We'll talk soon. I've got to get back at my "it"!  

 

            

3 comments:

  1. I will be praying for her? I was curious, since I am working towards opening an online boutique, do you own the shop you speak of working at? I have seen you post about going to market some. My dream is to be able to quit my day job if the online boutique takes off and also offer gift items and eventually open a retail storefront. These are my big dreams but I just wonder if I can make a living owning and running a boutique/gift store?

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, I do the buying and displaying for the gift shops, so I guess you could say that I just stay on the fun side of things. My cousin and her hubby own the stores. The pharmacy end is definitely the bread and butter and we're just the fluff. I hope you have great success with your dream! Keep me posted on how it goes, April!

    ReplyDelete


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels