Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Old Dude on the Hall

Well, I'm home and taking it easy just like they said. There are many beautiful words in the English language, but perhaps, to a woman, the most lovely of them all are "go home and just rest for two weeks." How melodious the words and yet how rarely are they spoken. They drip with sweetness like honey from the comb. Words so full of beauty and promise that they beg and they plead to be immortalized in cross stitching somewhere. Too bad Davis had gone to get the car when the beautiful words were being disseminated and so I informed her that she'd have to recite the whole thing again when he was present. From the very start. Word for word. The part about the laundry and dishes and everything. It all sounded pretty good, at the time, until about day 7, when it started to lose its appeal.

But, besides completely losing the ability to recollect 2 days of my life due to substantial drug use and my midriff having a way to go before next halter top season, I'm starting to feel human again.

I could never say enough about having a home economics major for a mother at times like this. She spent her birthday and most of the other days helping me. God bless her. After she'd cleaned, straightened, organized, washed, folded, and sanitized everything in our house, I emerged from the bedroom to find her on her hands and knees in the family room, having unloaded all of the built-in shelves, dusting all of the books and knick knacks. I mean, if there is ever a time that calls for one's knick knacks to be free of dust, it is particularly crucial in the days following the removal of one's uterus. And Davis and Carson have another couple of weeks to enjoy those starched undershirts and crisp ironed sheets she's churning out before we go back to the old way of straight from the dryer. Really, she has been invaluable to me, which is her usual way.

I assume for the doctor's convenience, they put us on the maternity floor after my surgery. You know, the hall lined with doors embellished with baby wreaths and decorative canvas birth announcements. And then there was our door. Plain, unadorned. There were several babies born while we were there and so Davis passed all sorts of young guys out in the hall in his comings and goings. He said it made him feel young and I'm sure a bit studly being there at his advanced age. I bet the young dads were thinking, "Whoa, old dude got himself a young wife thang in there having him a baby".....when actually, old dude had his old lady in there for maintenance and repair as she'd just turned over 150,000 miles. Not near as steamy as it would appear to the young bucks. But, what the young men didn't know, couldn't dampen Davis' strut as he'd go out to get coffee, fraternizing with the more virile set. I imagine he lifted his chin as they passed on the OB hall as if to say, "Wassup."
So, I don't have a lot to talk about unless you want to hear about the laps I've done around the den/dining room or the online Christmas shopping I've done or the forward progress made in Frasier episodes on Hulu. It is noteworthy that I have lost some weight from all this and would like to maintain it, but currently having bread pudding, chocolate chip cookies, a caramel cake, and Hershey bar pie in our kitchen will make this a difficult, if not impossible, feat. But, thank God for friends, who minister to us with refined sugars when we're down.

Thank you so, so much for your kind messages and emails.

One week down and one to go.

We'll talk soon.

    

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad your surgery went well. I love the GIF of the strutting rooster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy you're feeling better and with the help of your wonderful mom:).
    Have a beautiful day, Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best line ever!! Church lady TLC!
    But, thank God for friends, who minister to us with refined sugars when we're down.

    I'm glad all is going as it should. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it all went well! Thanks for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels