Wednesday, October 20, 2021

God Cares for All His Creatures

First of all, I’m a little behind on things, I want to thank everyone who sent messages about my mother and her bout with Covid and my father-in-law’s passing. It’s certainly been an eventful three weeks in our family. 

Thankfully, my mother recovered from her illness and I never got sick. I stayed home for a whole week to be safe, but never tested positive. Thank the Good Lord, my natural immunity was up to the task. And true to form, until the last few days, Mama’s been giving us all a wide berth ever since she tested positive. I mean, there are the CDC guidelines and then there are Mama’s guidelines. Those are much, much more stringent. I mean, if the Center for Disease Control says 10 days is good to avoid the spread, then 20 days would have to be so much better. Never let it be said of her that she passed along a germ. 

I missed you all last week. We were just out of sorts emotionally and taking care of those things that require attention when there’s a death in the family. God really worked out so many things in those days and in ways that only He could. Not the least of which was providing a perfect home for Gramps’ dog, Coco, as we found out really quickly that jealous Ruby was not a fan of giving up her only child status. One of the first responders took an immediate interest in Coco on that sad morning and thought of his co-worker who was mourning the loss of his little dog. The man who was missing his dog was eventually joined with the dog who was missing his man and, from our latest report, the two of them together are a match made in heaven. Coco is enjoying truck rides to Petco, riding on a four-wheeler in the woods, playing with his two cat siblings, and overall royal and privileged treatment. They both found their missing pieces in each other, which has been an emotional relief for us all. He was such a loyal friend to my father-in-law and we had to be sure he was going to a happy and loving place. Sounds like he certainly found it. God takes care of all of His creatures. I believe in Him and not coincidence. Many happy years to you, Coco. 

We’ve spent the last week writing notes, making phone calls, cleaning out cabinets, a refrigerator, and going through boxes of pictures. I’ve seen bits and pieces of my children’s faces in some of those photos. I’ve seen the parts of history that their family tree survived. I’ve heard stories of the kind of stuff their people were made of. I love history- especially learning more about my children’s family history. I believe we’re all the sum of so many pieces and parts of those who came before us and we’re carefully put together with what we’ll need for the time and task we’re each given. 

The one thing that stood out as the closest family members would arrive at Gramps’ house and walk in the door for the first time since his death, well, that was the moment when the emotions would overwhelm them. There’s just something about being in a person’s home- the smells, the places where they should be, their things-  they highlight their absence and make it real. One day, someone will go through all of our things, sit in our houses without us there, and tell our stories. What will those people remember? What was it about us that made a difference in their lives? We’re all busy building legacies. May we build good and lasting ones. 

Next week, I’ll be back to regular programming. Sometimes, life just happens and I have to take a pause, but we’ll get back on track. 

Happy Thursday!

JONI 

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels