Thursday, June 23, 2022

One Flew Out of the Cuckoo’s Nest

Have mercy! It’s hot as blue blazes. Hotter than a $2 pistol. Hot as molten lead. Hot as the hinges of Hell. Hot as the devil’s kitchen. Hot as all get-out. Hotter than fish grease. It’s a steam bath out there. A real scorcher. Hell’s waiting room. You could fry an egg on the sidewalk. I’m sweating like a pig. Sweatin’ buckets. Like a turkey at Christmas. Like a sinner in church. Burnin’ slam up. However they say it in your neck of the woods- it’s miserably hot. 

It got to 100 today in central Mississippi with 66% humidity. I can tell a change in my mood when it’s like this. I become grumpy. Impatient. Pessimistic. Prone to kick inanimate objects that get in my way. But, I know that some of you actually like to feel like you’re in a rotisserie oven. That’s the thing with seasons- everybody gets a turn at having things their way. Some people’s turns are longer than others- cough, cough- but life isn’t always fair. So, to all the summer people, I hope you’re enjoying this cremation setting on which the thermostat is currently set. This is what we heard y’all yearning for all winter long and here it is. You do you!

I really don’t know if it’s the heat or the prolonged period of inconvenience and stress or all the recent moving or a combination of them all, but I’m just bone tired. Dog tired. I’ve literally had to fight to stay awake this entire week. I’ve decided that I just can’t hold out like I once did. I think I remember when I first heard my mother say that, years ago, and here I go. I guess I’ve reached that age where you say that because you feel it and you know it’s something new. At some point, our kids became us- adventurous, free, energetic, and nimble and they bump us up to our parents’ slot- predictable, cautious, sore, and tired. I believe the transfer has taken place. 

Ruby is also dog tired. She’s come a long way from her days on the streets with her own My Pillow.

We got Carson all moved into his 425 sq ft studio apartment last week. We were told he was one of three Carsons to move into the building that day. While I was a little wary of downtown living, his building is located between a fire station, a police station, and a convent. His grandmother was pleased to hear this. Should he have a problem with fire, crime, or temptation, he is surrounded by those who can help. He started his job on Monday, his 22nd birthday. He’s 4 days in and absolutely loves it. Probably doesn’t hurt that he spent day two playing golf. It does a Mama’s heart good to know that her son has found a job that’s a good fit for him….and it doesn’t hurt her feelings that it removes his name from the payroll either. 

It’s an exciting moment when you really get out on your own for the first time. This move has felt different than the others. There was college, but his address was still our address and our home was still his home base. This move changes all of that and that’s ok. This is the natural progression of life and I’ve worked my way to the point where I’m good with that. We packed up some things he had from college. We bought some new things to help him get started. We gave him some used things we had. With it all, he pieced together what he’d need to start out on his own. God has been so good. Now we just pray, when the time is right, he’ll meet a sweet Christian girl who likes to cook and will bring him home to see us every month or two. If you know any girls like that, send them over. 

Some of you have asked if I’d post pictures of what we’ve done to our house. The guys came and finished the last few things today. We’re enjoying having life back to normal around here. Here are a couple of pics of some of the work we did. We also revamped bathrooms and bedrooms. 

We removed a wall in this room which gave us a larger, open space with more seating. Since we built, little people have become grown-up people and we’ve added John Samuel to the mix, so we needed space to spread outThis room is also open to the dining area, so it’s all one big room now. The wood behind the tv and the shelves on either side are made with the wallboards of Davis’ dad’s childhood home. We like that reminder of him. 


We got new cabinet doors, added cabinets to the ceiling, and got new countertops, etc. We really hadn’t done anything major to our house since we built because we were raising children with our money. We always said when we got them grown and educated, we’d give it a facelift. We’re thankful we were able to do that. 

On Saturday, I’m going to spend a couple of days with Blair. John Samuel is out of town and we’re going to have a girls’ weekend. I’m looking forward to being with my girl. Like I said earlier, there’s a natural progression of life, but I’ll always be their Mama and will never turn down a chance to be with them.

Lately, I’ve felt a burden for my children and all of our young people. I’ve tried to imagine being young in my career and family life right now. A time that’s filled with hopes and dreams and excitement, but I know they also must feel the heaviness of the day. The anger and hostility of the world. The disregard for human life. The financial burdens of the moment. The overload of information. I tried to imagine my launching years taking place in that kind of atmosphere and I concluded it would have to give some pause and added weight to their minds. Pray for our young people to find their hope in the One who’s overcome this world. They’re not the first generation to launch in troubled times, but they do seem to have more turbulence than their parents had at their lift-off. God, give them your peace in the chaos. Your hope in the confusion. Your wisdom in the uncertainty. 

We’ll talk next week, friends. 

JONI 











0 comments:

Post a Comment


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels