Thursday, October 27, 2022

The Future in Small Doses

First of all, thank you for your sweet words about my mother’s health situation. She’s doing well and just waiting to start her radiation treatments as soon as she’s done healing from surgery. She continues to get positive news at her follow up visits, so we’re feeling good about her. The only thing they were unable to remove was her stubbornness and, at 80, it’s likely a chronic condition and we’ll just have to deal with the symptoms. You practically have to sit on her to help her with anything, but that’s really nothing new. I’m not above sitting on my Mama if it’s warranted. 

I’ve been on a roll with my own yearly doctor visits. It’s that time of year. Y’all know I’m a stickler for those and I hope you are, too. In the last three weeks, I’ve been to my general doctor, the gynecologist, and today was the dermatologist. The dermatologist I see is in another town where my dear, oldest friend, Michelle, lives. Her birthday was a couple of weeks ago, so I met her and her sweet daughter for lunch at the restaurant of her choice. She was craving Mexican food and I’m always craving it, so it worked for me. 

The waitress brought the chips, salsa, and queso dip, which is 90% of the reason I go to Mexican restaurants and Michelle and I dove right in. She and I were on one side of the booth and her daughter, Sally, on the other. About 10 chips into our basket, I asked Sally if she was going to have any, but I already knew the answer. She’s a very healthy eater and saves her splurges for the weekends, so she sat and watched her mother and me kill a whole basket of chips. I think I could see her mouth slightly agape in amazement like someone who was watching a couple of lionesses devour a gazelle on Animal Planet. I can only imagine what she was thinking. There Sally sat- about the size of my right leg with a metabolism I could hear buzzing from across the table- the one who should’ve been siphoning the queso- not me. I think, deep down, we might have impressed her with our pace and endurance which would rival competitive eating levels. Impressed. Repulsed. It’s hard to say. 
Chip champions. 

From there, I had to get on to my dermatology appointment. On the way, I thought tanking up on chips and dips may not have been the best choice for someone who was about to have to disrobe and be inspected like a side of beef at the USDA. I got there and exchanged all my clothes for a paper gown which was a bad trade. I’m not really sure it was thick enough to qualify as paper. I’d call it more of a vellum gown. About the time I got it situated in the most effective manner, the doctor and her little nurse came in the door. Her nurse was a young, cute thing. She couldn’t have weighed more than 100 pounds. I remember when I was young and cute and weighed 100 pounds. Those were good times. The doctor starts with my scalp and looks me over with a fine tooth comb. Practically the entire 80’s decade was devoted to burning my skin for the purpose of achieving eventual tan, so there’s a lot to be inspected and it takes a while. The drill is the young, cute little nurse is standing there with my chart and making notations of every mole, sunspot, freckle, or marking that the doctor calls out along with its location on my body. It’s really a fun time for everyone involved. There I was, having just downed a basket of chips, two bowls of dip, a chimichanga, and two glasses of tea, and this tiny, little nurse, who’s not as old as the “seborrheic keratosis on my upper left scapula,” is getting an eye full with my paper gown being flipped every which way. The highlight for everyone is always when she asks me to flip over. There are 99 ways to turn over on a 4 foot table while wearing a vellum gown that’s open in the front, but I am here to tell you that none of them are pretty. 

So, if I’ve done nothing else good with this day, I have given two young ladies a honest look into the future. These unfortunate transformations that come with the passage of time shouldn’t take anyone by complete surprise. If we’re exposed to them in small doses while we’re young, they won’t be so horrifying when they eventually come to pass. I like to think I’ve made a difference in some lives today.  

Last week, Davis and I kept the granddog at our house while Blair and John Samuel went on a trip. I don’t think I even stopped by here. I’m still trying to recover and catch up on my sleep from that. At 5:30 am, Allie has this cute thing she does. She howls. Like a wolf. This is her attempt to tell everyone that it is morning and everyone should get on their feet and start the day. Well, 5:30 is about 3 1/2 hours before I usually get on my feet, but she’s like a snooze button. If you don’t get up, she’ll continue to bay at regular intervals until everyone is up and counted. And the fun doesn’t stop there- she howled periodically throughout the day, too. I can only assume she was calling out for her humans. After 8 days of this, I was just exhausted by the time she left. I slept 10 1/2 hours the first night she was gone. So, while they were off doing this… 

And this….
And this….
We were doing this…..
She’s a precious baby and I do miss her being here- but I don’t miss her at 5:30 in the morning. We’re taking a trip in December so they’ll get their turn at keeping Ruby. Ruby always has some shenanigans going on, which I’m sure will pay them back in full. 

I hope you all have a great weekend! We’ll talk soon! 

JONI 





0 comments:

Post a Comment


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels