Monday, November 28, 2022

Thankful

It was the best Thanksgiving weekend! Really. We ate the same foods at the same places with the same people and the same traditions, but something about it was just extra good. Mississippi State beating Ole Miss certainly didn’t hurt, but that wasn’t it. It was just sweet. There was one new thing. In my 54 years, this was the first year that food assignments were given out for Thanksgiving. I’m not talking about ice and cups and rolls. I’m talking real assignments. Not that we, the “next generation,” haven’t ever offered, but we’ve never been taken up on it. We can only speculate on the reason. Well, this was our year. After 54 years of coming in with nothing but our purses, we were called up for service. It was like the draft and we reported for duty. 

I was to bring sweet potato casserole and butter beans. For 43 people. Nothing like throwing us in the deep end to see what would happen. I’m use to cooking for four people and, most recently, two. How does one estimate how many sweet potatoes to peel for 43? What is the equation for figuring out how many butter beans 43 people can eat? I just don’t deal in such large increments in the kitchen. But, sticking with my belief that I’d rather have too much than not enough, I got pretty close on the sweet potatoes, but I overshot the butter beans by about 39 servings.

I do think the “next generation” nailed our first attempt at Thanksgiving assistance. No hospitalizations for food-borne illness were reported so yay for us. I’m pretty confident in my basic, weekday culinary skills, but something about cooking for Thanksgiving had me guessing, second-guessing, calling Mama, looking on Pinterest, and googling. I mean, nobody wants to be the generation that drops the Thanksgiving baton. If my grandmother, mother, and aunt hadn’t set and maintained the bar at such mouth-watering heights, it wouldn’t be so unnerving. The real test comes when we inherit the making of the dressing and the caramel cake, but I can’t even think about that yet. 

The “next generation” forming a receiving line after dinner and waiting for their compliments.

When families gather, the passage of time will always make itself known. Little boys in Spider-Man shirts turn into grown men with facial hair. Dark hair lightens as it’s peppered with gray. Age creeps up on young faces in lines and creases. Bright eyes start to show fatigue. Giggly girls turn into preoccupied teenagers. The oldest ones start to move slower and tire more easily. All reminders that time is always on the move and we should seize the day. Nothing emphasizes the tempo of time quite like our annual “kid” picture on the steps. 

Davis and I are leaving for a Texas excursion this week, so Ruby went home with Blair and John Samuel to stay with them while we’re gone. We’ll be apart for almost two weeks and that’s longer than we’ve ever gone without our Ruby. Davis and I were out in the driveway getting our farewell kisses and waving at her silhouette in the car window like big fools. We’re both so over the moon for that crazy dog and were standing out there gushing like we were sending our firstborn off to war. I think Blair and Carson may have been wondering to themselves why we never carry on like that when they leave. Blair has different rules about dogs on the furniture than we do and, from the looks of things, Ruby won’t be in a hurry for us to come collect her. 
Take your time, Joni. I’m watching Christmas movies on the couch. 

You all know it’s my favorite time of year. Something about this season just makes me more sentimental and mindful of the good things in life. I’m thankful when the wind brings the coolness of autumn. For the way the holiday season pulls love and generosity out of us all. The scents of cider and fresh cut evergreen. The feeling of wrapping up in a warm blanket on a cold night. The smell of a fire and its mesmerizing flames. The coziness of a warm sweater and the first night sleeping in clean sheets. The taste of good food and rich recipes handed down through the generations. The soft glow of candles and a good family dinner. The sentimental feeling that grows between friends, awakening them to the gift they have in each other. For days that are perfect for staying in and evenings with no particular plans. Pots of chili and cups of cocoa to stave off the chill. For trees that dance in the wind against an overcast sky. For friends who laugh with us and also use our names in their prayers. 

I’m thankful for peace that I can’t explain in times of stress. When I’m able to do things I know I could never do on my own power. For times when I have a thought or an idea and I know God put it there. For protection in near misses and prayers that thankfully went unanswered. For the faith to realize there are no coincidences. When God acts in seemingly impossible situations. I’m thankful that, even though He didn’t have to, Jesus died for me and the hope that gives me when days are dark. 

For “His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for mankind.” (Ps 28:7) “His steadfast love endures forever” (1 Chronicles 16:34) “Oh, how abundant is your goodness” (Ps 31:19) “For everything God created is good” (1 Timothy 4:4) “God will supply every need of yours according to His riches” (Philippians 4:19) “He richly provides us with everything to enjoy.” (1 Tim 6:17) “That we may have life and have it abundantly.” (John 10:10) “Those who seek Him lack no good thing” (Ps 34:10) “I shall not want.” (Ps 23:1) “The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food in due season.” (Ps 145:15) He “satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things” (Ps 107:9) “Oh, how abundant is your goodness” (Ps 31:9) “You have put joy in my heart” (Ps 4:7) “The Lord is a sun and a shield, giving grace and glory” (Ps 84:11) “my rock and my fortress and my deliverer” (Ps 18:2) “Your consolations cheer my soul” (Ps 94:15) “The Lord is my strength and my defense” (Ps 119:14) and is “with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:9) “He makes me dwell in safety” (Ps 4:8) He has “plans to give you a future and a hope” (Jeremiah 29:11) He “blesses His people with peace” (Psalm 29:11) “Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you.” (Heb 13:5) “You make known the path of life; in your presence is fullness of joy.” (Ps 16:11) 

I’ve been busy doing some freelance writing and my usual holiday work, so I’m sorry for being scarce around these parts. I’ll check back during the week of the 11th when we get home and we’ll get into a more routine schedule after the holidays. I hope the season has gotten off to a lovely start for you all. I am thankful for each one of you. So very thankful.   JONI







3 comments:

  1. So beautifully written! I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joni, your words are always a gift to me. Thank you.
    I have always hosted, and cook the turkey, make the dressing/stuffing, and the gravy. Everything else I have my married kids bring. That is how we make it happen around here!
    One day, I'll be the one headed to one of my kids' homes, bringing dinner rolls. That will be weird, but not unacceptable!

    ReplyDelete


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels