Wednesday, July 24, 2024

My Joy and My Delight

I can’t believe how quickly time is moving toward my approaching grandmotherhood. Pregnancy sure does go by fast when you’re not the one who’s actually pregnant. Blair and John Samuel have already found out what they’re having and they’re keeping the rest of us in suspense until next month when they come home for their birthdays. This is the point where everyone says to me, “but you already know, don’t you?” The answer to that would be no. Negative. She won’t even tell her mother. Anyway, the expectant parents are bringing the revealing dessert and his mom and I will put the rest of the party together. The problem is patience is possibly my least matured fruit of the spirit. It’s like a rock-hard green banana in terms of ripeness. I can usually be kind, joyful, peaceful, and some of those others, but being patient, well, that one still needs a while to ripen on the vine. 

I couldn’t care less if it’s a boy or a girl. None of us care. We’re just so beyond tickled with this gift, we don’t care what make and model it is. I loved doing the boy and the girl things with my kids. They’re both so fun in their own way. We let our first child be a surprise. We had a gender neutral nursery and waited until the birth to find out she was a she. It should’ve been a clue that I was carrying a girl as I was pregnant from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. There was nothing cute about me. My nose was even pregnant as it spread across my face. Of course, I was so doped up by the time she was born, I don’t think I even knew what they were saying to me. They could’ve announced I’d had an ostrich and I would’ve been just as tickled with that. To say that I was not present in the moment would be an understatement. We’d gone to the hospital with a boy and girl name and boy and girl coming home outfits  and I look back and think how the younger me must’ve been crazy. How and why did I do that? If any child needed a pink nursery, it was Blair. 

I must’ve learned from my mistake and we found out what Carson was and were able to have a boyish room ready, pack the right clothing, and concentrate on one name. I’ll never forget that day we found out. Blair was 6 and was there with us for the ultrasound. She started crying when the tech said it was a boy. She didn’t even pretend to be happy about it. We had to tell her we’d go get pizza when we were done because it was getting so embarrassing. On the other hand, Davis was so proud as his entire family line would’ve hit a dead end if we hadn’t produced a Miller man-child. You would’ve thought he’d single-handedly saved the human race from extinction. So, we had one crying with her arms folded and one strutting around like a rooster and I was just happy I’d get to experience the best of both worlds. I will have to say I was much cuter carrying Carson. He was just all out front and not distributed across my entire body. 

Blair was and still is a true girly girl. She came into the world loving all things feminine. She wasn’t too anxious to crawl or walk but could tell you exactly what she needed from where she sat as she was quite the orator at an early age. Our house became a virtual climate-controlled storehouse for baby dolls, 1,000 little Barbie shoes, Polly Pocket parts, boas, and plastic jewelry. For 6 years, we only did the girl things. We spent a lot of time looking at all the crapola at Claire’s, perusing the doll aisle of Toys For Us (as she called it), watching Disney princess movies ad nauseam, and had Barbie in the flesh at her 5th birthday party. Blair was never interested in playing sports and it was pretty clear from the start that wasn’t where her gifts were, but she could cook a delicious plastic hot dog and fried egg in her Little Tikes kitchen, apply some stunning play makeup, and care for 12 vinyl newborn babies at one time- all while talking on her Barbie phone. That little girl has been my pure joy for almost 30 years. 

Carson was born and we could tell almost immediately that this was a different ballgame. He was on the move early. He was full of energy, more independent, and had less time for cuddling- but when he’d stand up in his crib at night and cry, “Mama, hold you- rock together,” well, no recommendation from the pediatrician, or baby book, or team of wild horses could keep me from going to him. Even before he could walk, he was drawn to balls of any kind and anything that had a motor. When he’d see a truck or motorcycle, his face would turn red as he’d use his whole body to make the wettest motor noises with his lips. He aspired to be a garbage man so he could spend his days hanging on the back of a moving truck. We spent hours looking at Hot Wheels, superheroes, Pokémon cards, fishing lures, and Lego sets in the stores and did I mention balls? Oh, the flag football parties and stench of the sweaty boys who’d come inside for a snack. It was all so different from the glittery experience we had the first go-round but so very wonderful in its own way. That little boy has been my absolute delight for 24 years. 

When Blair was about 10, she told me she was never going to leave us. She went on to say that Carson would need to move out after graduation so she and her husband and children would have plenty of room. Here she is with a husband and a baby on the way and there has been no mention yet of an impending move into our house. Carson would always tell me that he was going to marry me and live with me forever, but I’m pretty sure he’s since decided to go a different route. He has another sweet girl he’s got eyes for now- just as it should be. I’m just a mama who’s done her part. A Punkin in the queue. Always on call but mostly just sitting back and enjoying the view of her children choosing their own paths and building their own nests. It’s called life and it’s a beautiful thing. Thanks be to God. 

Have a great Thursday! 

JONI 




0 comments:

Post a Comment


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels