Sunday, January 26, 2020

Say It Now

 
I'd almost finished a blog post, last week, when I got word that a precious friend of our family had just died. I'd known him as long as I can remember from the church, where I grew up. He and his wife gave me my first "real job" after college. Both of my brothers worked for him in their younger years. He was also one of my Daddy's very best buddies and the thought of them being together again has given me a lot of comfort, these last few days. His life intersected with the life of my family at many points and we're all the better for it. Just as it will for all of us, age had, in recent years, taken many things from him and so the news didn't come as a surprise. But, I thought it would be more respectful not to post, last week, because, sometimes, the most appropriate thing we can be is quiet.

It seems like I've written a good deal, in recent months, about people who've passed away. Whether in a card, on social media, or here, I've used my words to express the love I have for a person, who's no longer here to hear them. The words mostly help me process the loss for myself and express to the family the joys and blessings I received from having their loved one in my life.  

The older I get and the more loss I experience, though, the more urgency I have in wanting to tell others what it is about them that draws me to love and admire them, while they're still here to listen. In this incredibly negative world where we live, everyone is starving for a morsel of encouragement, motivation, and affirmation. Something to offset the blows this cold place can deal us. An anti-venom for the vile negativity that strikes so often. A shot in the arm when the meanness of the world sickens our spirits. A few words just to fill our dry tanks, so we can all make it to where we're going. 

This weekend, someone told me something that breathed so much life into me that I can't even explain it. It wasn't anything elaborate or earth-shaking or even anything I'd never heard before. It was just a well-timed word that I was needing to hear at that moment. Unknowingly, the person changed my whole outlook and my whole day. My steps became quicker and my eyes brighter. My mind was reset and my soul was inspired. It was a timely reminder of what a difference encouraging words can make and how we need them from each other now- not after we're gone.   

Before Carson left for college, we got in his room to pack some things and to clean out, too. He'd outgrown a lot of clothes and some school papers from his freshman year were determined to be obsolete. There were some socks without mates and t-shirts with holes. Then, I found a stack of index cards in his drawer that were held together with a rubber band. I didn't pay any attention to what they were- I just asked if they were something that could go in our trash pile. He immediately gave me a definitive, "No!" He said the cards were from a youth trip, where they each wrote words of encouragement and commendation to everyone in the group and he wanted to keep them.

He gave me permission to look at them, so I unwrapped the rubber band and sat down on his bed to read. Note after note after note, his church friends gave him affirmation and listed the qualities that made him loveable to them. They talked about the good things that made him who he is and the endearing attributes they admired in him. They expressed love and friendship to my son. And that son, who isn't an overly sentimental guy, wanted to make sure I didn't do away with those old, tattered, dog-eared index cards. They meant a great deal to him. They represented all that his peers found to be good in him. He'd kept the cards for a couple of years in his nightstand next to his bed. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that when he was feeling low or heavy-hearted or just a bit unsure of himself, he'd take them out and let the uplifting words pour over him like a warm, soothing bath. That is the power of encouragement.

We all heard the sad news about Kobe Bryant and his young daughter on Sunday. None of us know when those final words will be written and said about us or the people we love. The words come sooner for some than for others. One thing's for sure though- they won't hear them then.

So, say it now.

Write it now.

Show it now.

Share Jesus now.
 
"Kind words are like honey-
sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."
Proverbs 16:24    

 

 

2 comments:

  1. As always, I find your words so beautiful and true. You always touch my heart with your beautiful way of expressing things. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious gift those kids gave to each other. I'm sure, just like you, that your son has used their words to encourage himself. May we all do this for one another!

    ReplyDelete


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels