Thursday, March 16, 2023

New Dog, Old Dog, New Tricks

Well, I’ve had a lot of you ask about Otis and, since I’ve had a busy week and put off writing to the last minute, we’ll just make small talk. Otis is doing so good, but I’m not gonna lie- fostering a dog who’s had no rules, structure, or love is not for the fainthearted. He’s been a labor of love, for sure. Finding our groove with trust, routine, bonding, boundaries- it’s been like having a four-legged toddler on Red Bull. My weight loss is now up to five pounds and I’ve exceeded my step goal daily since he got here, so I choose to think of this as a step toward better health for Otis and me. If I didn’t have Otis here, I can assure you I’d be spending a lot more time in a chair somewhere. 

As you’d expect with any new dog, there are kinks to work out and, if the dog is from the streets, as is our specialty here, those kinks can be especially kinked. We’ve successfully worked through the incessant hound dog barking/howling that had started to give me flashbacks from Carson’s colic days. And we’re still working on walking on a leash properly. If Otis sees a squirrel, he’s very considerate to give you two options. You can let go of the leash or you, too, can chase the squirrel. I only wish there had been a camera rolling for proof when I did that impressive gymnastics sequence- front half twist with a flash kick and straddle roll in my front yard. If nothing else, I entertained the electricians, who were wiring the new house across the street at the time. And, lastly, we’ve had a good couple of days training on the wireless fence. With Otis’s roaming history, we had to find a balance between reasonable freedom and safety. Knock on wood- the fence concept seemed to completely click with him today. He’s a a quick learner. I mean, Otis didn’t escape capture for over four months by being a dummy. Here are a few new pictures from his gushing foster mom.
Love riding in the truck. Would love it more in the front seat. 

Happy boy. 

Wireless fence practice session #3. 

A deer dog’s favorite chew toy

We decided, while we’re working with Otis on the wireless fence, we’d teach Ruby, too, because she’s started getting a little careless about the road. Most people have their dogs highly trained to behave, perform on command, and be self-controlled, but that’s not the way things work here. We’ve never trained any of our dogs to do anything. They train us. So, when we put the collar on Ruby and led her around the flags marking the boundaries, she looked up at us like, “Are you being for real, right now? Because this is stupid.” She’s still not put the beeping and the flags together -much less what it all means. It’s true what they say- it really is hard to teach an old-ish dogs new tricks. 
“The only reason I’m even playing along with this nonsense is those treats in your pocket.”

It’s spring break around here which means absolutely nothing to us now that our kids are grown. I’ve been able to spend some time with my teacher friends which is always fun. Davis and I have taken on a couple of spring projects. We’re digging up our old landscaping and, by we, I mean Davis is digging and I’m sitting on the porch being supportive. We’re going to start with a clean slate and get a fresh start in the plant department. Tomorrow is supposed to be a nasty weather day, so we’ve decided to tackle the attic. I don’t know about y’all, but our attic is the catch-all. If we want it out of the way- put it in the attic. If it’s an item that’s out of season -put it in the attic. If we haven’t decided what we’re going to do with it- put it in the attic. If we don’t need it but don’t want to throw it away - put it in the attic. If it’s broken, but we plan to fix it- put it in the attic. If the kids left it here- put it in the attic. Well, the attic has become impassable and a hazard to all who enter. Tomorrow, we conquer it. 

I’m glad to feel coolness in the air again. The arrogant hot weather barged up in here in February like it owned the place with a new high of 86 set here. With all the time I’d been spending outdoors with Otis, I had a sunburn and mosquito bites on my ankles before March even got here and, I might add, the first local poisonous snake picture of the season was posted to Facebook before President’s Day. Too soon, my heat-loving friends. Y’all just need to back it up for a bit longer. 

Hope y’all have a great weekend! 

JONI 

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels