Tuesday, October 8, 2024

In the News Today



I’ve been an avid news watcher for most of my adult life. It’s not always been the detriment to mental health and killer of cheerfulness that it is today, but I do like to stay informed- which is kind of weird because “ignorance is bliss” is usually my go-to motto. I’m not really one to get anxious about the news, but I admit it does hit a little differently with our first grandbaby on the way. I’d backed off of my habit and had been on what you might call a news fast for the last couple of years. During my dieting, I found my general outlook skyrocketed, but an election cycle always draws me back in and, yes, I’ve fallen off the wagon. Even if I don’t sit and watch the news proper, it’s impossible to miss the headlines if you ever visit this thing called the internet. 

There’s so much going on in the world right now and, as an over-informed consumer of news, I’ll see if I can summarize it for you in case you’re in the dark. It will be a completely neutral synopsis. *The devastation from Hurricane Helene is almost incomprehensible and, while people are still being rescued and digging themselves out of that disaster, a more monstrous storm, Milton, is headed for central Florida as a historic category 5 hurricane. Floridians have been clamoring to find fuel to evacuate via jammed highways and interstates. *Helene’s victims are criticizing FEMA’s slow response and accusing the federal government of spending more money on humanitarian aid to Lebanon than on helping their own citizens. The government denies the claim and pledges their assistance as long as it’s needed. *VP Harris and Gov. Desantis are going back and forth as the media tries to fuel the controversy about who called or didn’t call who and who’s making the hurricane political. *There are reportedly some nervous household names as P. Diddy sits in prison and a very dark and disturbing underworld waits to be exposed. *A year after the attack on Israel, it remains at war with the terrorist groups, Hamas and Hezbollah, who still hold many of their hostages from that fateful day. Israel has taken out most of Hezzbolah’s leadership in the latest rounds of attacks. Iran bombed Israel last week and Israel plans to counterattack with vengeance as the world tries to encourage a cease fire. The Middle East looks as stable as a drunk man on a tight rope right now. *Pro-Palestinian protests are going on here at home and abroad and Jews are concerned with rising antisemitism. *President Trump returned to Butler, Penn to finish the rally that was cut short by the July assassination attempt that killed a former fire chief who was in attendance. *Dockworkers and port owners reached a tentative agreement after 14 ports were shutdown for 2 days due to workers striking for more money and keeping automation from taking their jobs. They’ll negotiate a permanent contract in January. *America’s largest water utility company in New Jersey was hit with a cyberattack last week. The company serves 24 states and the full impact is still unknown. *Ukraine struck a major Russian oil terminal that provided fuel for their war effort. Opinions are split about our ongoing and costly support of their conflict with Russia. *An Afghan man in Oklahoma has been arrested by the FBI and charged with planning a terror attack on Election Day here in the U.S. *The stock market took quite a tumble yesterday but rebounded some today. 

Those are the high spots but add in the other 99 lower profile headlines we inadvertently see while we scroll on our phones or listen to our radio in the car. That doesn’t even include the political back and forth and non-stop ads. Mix in some local and state news that only your area knows about and add in the concerns from your circle of family, church, and friends. By the time we get done heaping all that news and information on ourselves, it’s no wonder we feel weighted down and defeated. Studies show that negative news increases our consumption and the media is a consumption-obsessed business, so they feed us a steady diet of it all day. Studies have also found our over-exposure to negative news causes anxiety, depression, and despondency. 

Our grandparents got one or two newspapers a week and their knowledge of the world outside their local area was limited to what was printed on those sheets plus short snippets on the radio or a television news time slot. No 24-hour news channels and certainly no phones in their pockets with minute by minute updates from the entire globe. It’s too much for a mind to process and a heart to absorb. So, how do Christians stay informed and engaged without getting sucked down the rabbit hole and overwhelmed by things they can do little to change? Don’t think I’m about to tell you because I have no idea. I was hoping you could tell me. 

Last week, we were out of a few things including milk and conditioner so I ran to Wal-Mart. I can do without a lot of things but milk and conditioner aren’t on that list. Frizzy-headed milk drinker here. Anyway, with all the ominous headlines of strikes and shortages and more inflation and the Middle East rolling around in my head, I was in the hair care section smelling all the different Native conditioner scents when I heard the most lovely sound. I stopped and listened. It was happy and cheerful and brought up all kinds of warm thoughts and feelings for me. I chose my conditioner and decided to follow the joyful song luring me along like the Pied Piper. It was my favorite- beautiful Christmas music. Nat King Cole, then Brenda Lee, then Bing Crosby singing familiar favorites. The inviting melody led me to a wonderland of Christmas trees and lights and displays of ornaments and decorations. Yes, I know it’s only October, but being surrounded by reminders of a warm and inviting season made me forget for a moment that the world outside the Wal-Mart Christmas department was in a state of disarray and utter chaos. With just a different kind of song playing that stood out from the rest, I’d found my way to a peaceful place. A contented place. A soothing place. 

There are people walking around us now who are carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders. They’re stressed about making ends meet, their health, their job, their children, or maybe they just watched the news or scrolled through social media for more than 20 seconds. There aren’t many places we can go and not hear the bad news. It’s loud and obtrusive and finds us wherever we are. I’m not trying to place any spiritual motives behind Wal-Mart’s retail ploys, but I was thinking how we should be more like that Christmas department. As Christians, individually and collectively as the Church, we should be that sweet tune of peace and joy that draws people in from the chaos and confusion. An inviting sound that has them coming to see what that lovely commotion is that they hear. A happy tune, a different tune that can’t help but stand out above the oppressive background hum of the world. If we could be something that’s so wonderfully out of place. Something that’s so beautifully out of the norm. Something so uniquely enticing they want to come and find the tranquility that Jesus gives. They have a million people telling them what’s wrong with the world and a thousand places they can go to hear the bad news. If there’s anywhere they should hear the peace, hope, and calm of the Good News, it’s where God’s people are. It doesn’t mean that the world isn’t on fire, it just means that our hope isn’t dictated by what’s going on in this world. Our future is in another place and that’s why our song should sound so beautifully different. 

I guess I have to ask myself if I talk more about the good news or the bad? Eek! Maybe I need to change my tune. 

God, be with the people of Florida and those who have already lost so much. 

JONI 


0 comments:

Post a Comment


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels