Sunday, April 24, 2016

An Appetite for Change....or Not

I'm consumed with all things graduation right now.  Not only does Blair graduate in 12 days and we're in the process of working out the details of that weekend but I'm also involved in giving/planning a family graduation party for a cousin who's finishing high school, and planning the table decorations for the baccalaureate breakfast at church.  So, to say that I've been thinking a lot about the graduation process would be an understatement. 

I know all the graduates, like Blair, are really excited to be moving onto something different.  Whether they'll be moving out of their parents' house and heading to college or looking forward to putting down the school books for the first time in 16 years, a change is needed and welcomed. 

I was thinking about change and all of us.  How we are as humans.  Seems like we're always wanting to move onto the next thing......whatever that may be.  We're usually up for a change.  A move toward something different.     

I remember when I was a kid and the school year was coming to a close.  The middle of May just brought butterflies to my stomach.  There were field trips and May Days and, well, days when we didn't really do all that much.  Seemed that there was more playground time and a lot of programs.  All of that signaled that the end was near and it was so exciting.  I could almost smell summer and no bedtimes and riding bikes until dark and Vacation Bible School and being home to watch The Price is Right.  I'd worked hard all year......going to school, day in and day out, and I was ready for a change.  I'd learned the state capitals, the 0-9 multiplication tables, and had perfected cursive.  I wanted to do something different for a while.   

I didn't feel those same butterfly feelings of excitement again until.........well, it got to be late August and it was time to go register for school and pick up my school supply list for the new year.  Was there anything more exciting than starting a new year with new school supplies?  I'd been out doing my own thing for three months.  I'd played in the sprinkler, finished my softball season, ridden 100 miles on my Big Wheel, and yelled, "ready or not, here I come," about a million times or more.  My knees were scraped.  My skin was tan.  And as fun as all that was, I was just ready for a change.  I wanted to do something different.    

Same thing with the seasons.  I can't say that I've ever said this, personally, but most people start barking, "I can't wait until summer," right after Christmas.  They've bundled up and shivered and watched it snow and rain long enough.  They're ready to move along.  Then, comes summer.  And it lingers and lingers like company that stays too long.  We sweat and swat mosquitos and the much anticipated warmth starts to lose its luster.  And, by the end of August, we're all pleading for that cool air that loosens the leaves from the trees.  We're ready for the next thing.  We want to feel the cool change blowing through our hair.   

Seems like we look ahead to the next stages of life, too.  I can't wait to drive.  I can't wait to go to college.  I can't wait to get my own place.  I can't wait to get married. I can't wait until I can slow down.  I can't wait to retire.  Always looking toward the next step.  Always thinking that the next thing is where it's at for us. 

I was thinking, as Blair gets ready to graduate, how parenthood may be one of the few exceptions to our tendency to want to run ahead.  Parenthood is one place where we're content to linger for a while.....right where we are.  You can hear us saying things like, "I wish I could freeze time right here."  We can even find ourselves longing to go back and relive a time that has passed.  "I'd love to have my kids at that age again."  May be that parenting is one of the few places where we try to paddle upstream against the current of time instead of wanting to go full throttle ahead to expedite the trip. 

Maybe it's because we see that, the further we go down this road, the role that's defined us for so long grows smaller and smaller.  Maybe there are moments we're not wanting to let go of.........things we're not ready to file away as just memories.  Maybe this is all we know now.  We've set up camp here for so long.  Maybe we like here in this spot.   

Carson has a nice, comfortable two year cushion between him and high school graduation.  While I'm already counting the days until fall and while I can't wait for football season and I look forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas and a whole host of other things that I see coming up, I'm in no rush to race off to that one.  I'll just let it come slowly to me......dragging its feet would be ok, too. 



Before I go, I have to show y'all my painting that arrived on Saturday from Katie!  When I opened it, I saw that photos just didn't do it justice.  It is so wonderfully wonderful!  She truly captured our little Sugar's personality!  Please go visit Katie at psalm8110.com.  So very talented....and so very thoughtful!

 

Sugar seemed quite pleased with her portrait.  After all, who doesn't want to be immortalized on canvas? 


Y'all have a good Monday.  We might as well face it head on!


  

1 comment:

  1. What a thought provoking post. Life does zoom by! So savor every moment, Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels