Thursday, August 30, 2018

Happy September Eve, My Friends

Well, it's that time of year again when you all humor me and let me have my moment to celebrate the demise of what I like to refer to as hell's trilogy....June, July, and August. It's almost September Eve and, on Saturday, it will be socially acceptable to pretend it's fall. Tomorrow, I'm bringing out all things fall and candles scented with pumpkin caramel swirl, pumpkin cupcakes, autumn harvest, pumpkin apple muffins, and pumpkin spice latte. It's gonna smell like a pumpkin afire up in here.

In case you've missed it in years past, let me illustrate my sense of accomplishment for having survived another smothering Mississippi summer with her long, merciless days which seem to have no end.......
Yes, the stores are full of pumpkins and cinnamon-y things and you know how this must awaken the dead part of my being, even though, we've got far to go in the South before we could even think about getting close enough to a fire to roast anything. Yes, the southern sun still has many tricks left up its sleeve. Just because Brach has shipped its candy corn and mellowcreme pumpkins to Wal-Mart, does not the cool weather bring. There is still much hardship to endure, but we can be sure that the worst is behind us now.

Yeah, when you turn your calendar over to September, the accompanying, thematic picture usually shifts from August's beach balls to baskets of apples, piles of bright orange leaves, and a little red schoolhouse. Well, a southern calendar would be more realistic to depict September with a photo of an irritated, red-faced woman, with underarm sweat stains, drinking her pumpkin spice latte out on her front lawn of crunchy, burned up grass, which is crawling with ornery rattlesnakes, who are looking for a place to bed down and mosquitos, the size of blackbirds, trying to make the most of their last days.

But, if nothing else, August's exit is a mental victory. September 1 signals an inner triumph for me. I approach the finish line and can see only good things ahead, but not all wins are picturesque. Sometimes, you just need to get through the race the best you can. As long as you finish, it doesn't matter how you looked doing it. My sweaty, irritated self is on the verge of stumbling, without the tiniest shred of dignity, over the finish line. It hasn't been pretty. It hasn't even bearable to watch. You might even say that it has been a downright ugly performance. But, I am almost there.
I'll never understand you, summer people, and your desire to feel like a chuck roast simmering in the crockpot day after day after day. No, I prefer temperatures that don't scorch the lining of the lungs when breathed in, but to each his own.
 
I'll have to say we have had a couple of days of cool down, here and there. I mean, I'm only talking a couple of degrees, but any downward movement on the thermometer is always welcomed. The shadows have looked a little longer. The sky has been a tad more blue. There's been the slightest hint of coolness in the air when Davis and I walk in the evenings. And when you walk to the mailbox, you only lose 1 liter of fluid instead of 2. This is real progress.

This year, September 1 is a double treat with Mississippi State football starting that day, too. The day we can pretend it's fall AND college football starting on the same day may be just more than my excitement meter can measure. All of my favorite seasons kicking off at one time.

So, that's where I am.  My steps are a little peppier.  My voice is laced with more excitement.  My outlook is brighter.  My confidence is high. This is my time. A lot of sweat and tears have gone into this victory. A lot. You all know this is one of the most difficult races for me.  Thank you for your support.
And the first leaf we see fall from the trees down here in Mississippi, even if it was burned slammed to death by the hellacious heat and was literally scorched from its branch, well, we will still find victory in its descent to the ground. We don't so much care about why the first leaf falls, only that it falls.

So, don't let the door hit you on the way out, summertime.

Happy First Day of Pretending It's Fall, my friends!
 









2 comments:

  1. We had a few days of low humidity and I was in Heaven, now, not so much. I do know that your humidity is worse and Bless you Joni when you cross the finish line Saturday:).
    I'm planning on Fall fixing my kitchen hutch and sitting area while munching on some candy corn:). Like you, September is the start of all things Autumnal goodness. Today was 105, it's winding down at the end of the monsoon on my daughters birthday Sept 30th, yay!!! BTW she's one of us:). And! A yellow leaf did drop from my tree, due to the stress from the heat I'm sure, but still.
    Think brisk Fall weather Joni,
    Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer here in Pennsylvania has been no joke. It has been endless months of high temps and tropical humidity. I’m ready to send summer on its way!

    ReplyDelete


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels