Sunday, August 10, 2014

A Nice Place to Visit

It's been the quietest weekend.

Blair's back in the swing of things....just enjoying being reunited with her college campus after a summer long separation.  I am counting the days until her looming pile of earthly possessions can join her there.....five more just in case you're wondering.  Whenever I get texts from her, she's either having lattes, working out at the gym, or eating dinner with friends.  It's good to be in college. 

At the end of this week, she will leave her teenage years behind and enter her 20's.  Wow!  That would have to make her mother, at least, ........well, never mind about that. 
And Carson.....well, he went deep sea fishing again this weekend.....this time with my two brothers and two nephews.  I'm glad I didn't know about he and his cousin diving into the Gulf, thirty miles offshore, for a little swim until it was all over.  I suppose I shouldn't be surprised though.  When one sends one's child off with one's brothers, one just never knows.  Don't they know it's "Shark Week" on the Discovery Channel?  Surely, the sharks will be out to boost their ratings this week of all weeks!  And haven't they heard of the flesh eating bacteria?  Oh, I hope my mother doesn't read this.  Let's move on. 

He did catch a bonito, one of the fish on his fishing bucket list, so that made him very happy.  He informed us that now he would like to take his college fund and purchase a big fishing boat.  He feels the seas are calling him.  Not sure about that plan, son.    
So, with both kids out of the house, what are the parents, who remain, to do?  Well, for starters.......I cleaned the house on Friday afternoon and it stayed clean ALL weekend long.  I did laundry Thursday night and haven't had the need to run another load ALL weekend.  I made a pot of soup Friday and we ate on that ALL weekend.  Those are just some of the upsides of children being gone, I suppose. 
 
Davis worked some and I caught up on Carson's scrapbook..... I am now actually in the year, 2014, so that's good.  We listened to the 80's music channel while we worked and not one person complained or sighed about it.    
 
We did go out to dinner last night and since there wasn't a movie playing that we wanted to see, we ran in a few stores, went for ice cream, and then came home and went for a walk.  I know by now you are all on the edge of your seats.  We're the stuff television series are made of.    
 
This morning, we were both ready for church ten minutes early and had no one to wait for...... no one for whom Davis had to blow the horn to hurry along.  Being on time for church.....apparently another unexpected perk of children being away. 
 
Carson's back home now.  He's talked 100 mph about his trip.  That's added some much welcomed noise back to the house. 
 
It was a nice, relaxing weekend, but I'll just tell y'all right now......an empty nest is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there just yet. 
 
Hope y'all got some down time, too!
 
Happy Monday!     
 
    
 


2 comments:

  1. i've been an empty nester since 1997....gosh that seems so long ago (and it is)! that was before i met my sweet husband (i had an awful prior divorce...a story for another day)! my now(wonderful)husband and mine's lives sound a lot like yours....and here's what i say after years of being an empty nester....we love to see them come visit but we love to see them go too! we put away all the toys, change sheets and remake guest room beds, go back to running the dishwasher 1-2 times a week and lots less laundry and cooking!

    you have years before your children are completely gone and it's really hard for a time but trust me, you will come to love your "new normal" in time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it's wonderful when you get the hang of it, Judy! I imagine it takes a while to get the hang of it though. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels