Saturday, March 8, 2014

Spring Happenings and Such

We've been busy around here with all the bustle that comes with springtime!  Today was Carson's junior high baseball season opener and he got himself an RBI!  Davis and I were doing our stint in the concession stand, so this is the only picture I have to document the day, but what a good lookin' centerfielder!

Spring break started yesterday at 3:05 p.m. and after four days of studying for his nine weeks tests and then an extra credit science project, we ALL need a break from the educational process.  I believe that God allows us to be tested in many different ways and sometimes that testing might come in the form of school projects involving magnesium and sodium atom models being fashioned from pipe cleaners, pom poms, and a very, very hot glue gun.  After seven burned fingertips, four poster boards, and three trips to JoAnn's to purchase more "electrons", I have to say, I came out on the other side with impressive control of my tongue.

And on the subject of nine weeks tests, can I just add that there's nothing like an 8th grade study guide to make you aware of just how little algebra you retained after your last exam was run through the Scantron in 1987.  I don't, often, have to solve for X, but when I do, I use Mom algebra and it doesn't really call for exact answers or require that you show your work:

1) Mom is shopping for clothes.  She has 6 items for herself.  Her son and daughter each find 6 items for themselves.  If Mom puts back 1 of her items for every 2 items she buys for her children, how many items does Mom get for herself?
Answer: X=none.  Mom gets none for herself.

2)  Carson has 3 friends over for the day.  Mom is going to make pizzas for their lunch.  There are 8 slices in each pizza and half of the boys say they will eat 6 slices and half of the boys say they will eat 5 slices.  How many pizzas will Mom need to make? 
Answer: X= Mom's going back to the store.

3)  Mom is doing laundry.  Each load of laundry takes 15 minutes to wash and 30 minutes to dry. How long will it take for her to do 5 loads of laundry?
Answer: X= forever.  It will take Mom forever.

4)  A couple has 2 children.  One will graduate from college in 2016 and the other in 2022.  At the current rate of inflation, how long will Mom and Dad have to work? 
Answer: X= until they die.  Mom and Dad will have to work until they die. 

5)  Blair wants her future wedding to look like her Pinterest wedding board. If the average cost of each of her 893 pins is $950, how much would Blair's Pinterest wedding cost?
Answer: X= too much.  Blair's Pinterest wedding would cost too much.

It's now 11:42 p.m., which means it's really 12:42 a.m. after we move our clocks ahead tonight, so I guess I need to bring this to an awkward and abrupt end.  May you all spring forward without incident.

Night, y'all,

    

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Too many hats, your title sounds like we could be friends! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'm rolling!! My son passed my math skills when he was in elementary school. When he was working on long division they were having him estimate...what in the world?? Not a good combo for my slightly OCD habits. Many tears were shed by all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate to the rolling tears! We just hired Carson a tutor because we felt we would all love each other more if we didn't have to do math together. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my. I love Mom math! I give you a 100% on all your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feel free to apply it anytime you need to, Dee!

    ReplyDelete


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels