Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Easter Rambling

This has been the craziest week in recent memory.  We've had so much going on around here.  I won't bore you with the details, but you can take my word for it.  You know how some weeks flow gently and softly like a babbling brook......almost lulling you to sleep with their peaceful aura and then others would be more like being downriver from the Hoover Dam when it breaks in the middle of a hailstorm.  Hopefully, next week will bring a little less activity and a little more time for writing.  
       
It's going to be kind of an unusual Easter weekend for us.  We've already had our major Easter gathering with my side of the family.  My brother and his family came home a couple of weeks ago and so we all got together then and had our obligatory Honey Baked Ham with all the trimmings.  We hid eggs and everything else that goes along with having little people around.  I'm sure that, as my niece and nephew were running around our yard with their baskets of eggs on March 21, that our cool neighbors were looking out their window saying, "She does know it's not Easter, right?"....shaking their heads.  Surely, by now, they know they can't predict what will go on over here on the crazy side of Menopause Street.

I tried to get ahead of the crowd and bought our Easter weekend groceries earlier in the week.  I swooped over to the Easter candy aisle because, even though our kids are 14 and 20, if they wake up on Sunday and don't find their favorite candy nestled in a bed of unnaturally colored, plastic grass, they'll be sorely disappointed.      

Anyway, the candy aisle was the happening place.  Standing room only.  There was this one lady who had a crazed look about her.....almost a panic in her voice, as she was unable to locate the Reese's eggs.  If ever there was a time that called for panic, that would be it.  I really don't get the whole Cadbury attraction, but do not stand between me and my cold glass of milk and Reese's eggs.  It would not be unlike approaching a postpartum alligator and her eggs. 

You ever notice how much better your favorite candy bars taste when they're wrapped in pastel foils and fashioned into the shape of an egg?  There's just something about it, you know?  We're not really jelly bean people or Peeps fans and Carson is allergic to peanuts, so staying within those guidelines, I selected the candy that I thought Davis and I might enjoy stealing from their baskets the most.     

Carson's suit coat has arrived, however, his matching pants are a no show so far. It's never a good sign when the tracking number takes you to the message "Not Found".  I'll try not to think about it until Good Friday.  If the pants don't show by then, we may have to go another route...... like maybe the coat and a pair of dress shorts with some white knee socks like when he was 2.  Oh, how I miss the days of chubby legs and smocked trains......and Blair's bows that were as big as helicopter blades with little Mary Janes.   

I've also got to find time between now and Easter to get his hair cut.  In the Southern Baptist bylaws, it clearly states that all males must pursue a fresh haircut for Easter Sunday.  It's in there somewhere.....I just know it is.  If not, it is well understood in most Protestant circles.  And since he's starting to look a tad like Mick Jagger, this will need to be rectified before Sunday morning.

Blair will be home for the weekend and has plans to make a lamb cake for one of our small gatherings.  I'll have to report back to you on that.  We'll be going to watch a couple of Carson's baseball games.......always enjoy those!  I'm on the flower committee at church, which is also known as the "Don't Make Plans for the Day Before Easter" Committee.  And we'll be eating with smaller fragments of our families throughout the weekend, so.........even though the weekend will be a little quieter than usual, we should have plenty to keep us busy. 

I'll be back on Monday......less distracted!

Happy Easter, y'all!            

        

    



         


4 comments:

  1. "In the Southern Baptist bylaws, it clearly states that all males must pursue a fresh haircut for Easter Sunday. It's in there somewhere.....I just know it is. If not, it is well understood in most Protestant circles. " This was my favorite line of your post! Thankfully, my boys are freshly trimmed and my own appointment is scheduled for Friday. Easter is so much more than this, but it is a good opportunity for me to freshen everyone up a bit.

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww......I hope you all had a great Easter, Missy June! Unfortunately, I couldn't get in until next week, so I'm a little on the desperate side for a cut and color!

      Delete
  2. I remembered getting spruced up for Easter when I was young. Have a Blessed Easter Joni with your family. Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your Easter was nice, Kathleen! Thank you!

      Delete


Follow by Email!
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Browse through all the blog posts over the years

view all

Labels

Labels